My family went camping every summer when I was growing up. We did the tent, Coleman stove, lanterns, pit toilets, and everything. I loved it.
However, somewhere along the way, as I got older, I became a staunch city girl. So when vacation plans were made for our trip to California this year and they included taking everyone camping, I wasn’t what you would call “overjoyed.” I knew my kids would love it, and I recognized there would be a few aspects of it that I could appreciate, but that’s about it.
A-camping-we-did-go, nonetheless, and although I never did come to love the bugs and having to trek through the dark to use the bathroom in the middle of the night (keeping watch for bears, of course), I did have a really good time.
Here are ten reasons why even a city girl can enjoy camping:
1. The sheer beauty of mountain surroundings
2. Food cooked out in the open just seems to taste better
3. The chance to unplug
4. Campfire time
5. Family memories are created
6. The fun of doing even normal things differently
7. Watching kids be kids (even if they happen to be teenagers)
8. Fascinating discoveries
9. Learning about the wildlife (I’m trying to be positive about this one)
10. Challenging myself to do things outside of normal
Have you ever been camping? Did you enjoy it?
(I’m linking up with Angie at Many Little Blessings today for Top Ten Tuesday)